Stopped by the scuba shop today and bought a new steel Faber 80 cubic foot tank. Looked into the brand, and discovered they’re made in Italy, with hundreds of thousands of cylinders made.
Why steel instead of aluminum? Primarily because steel doesn’t change buoyancy as it is depleted of air, like aluminum does. With aluminum, the diver becomes more buoyant as air is used up in the cylinder, making it a little more tricky to achieve consistent buoyancy throughout a dive.
Steel tanks have thinner walls, but are heavier before you get in the water. This doesn’t really affect me, and wasn’t a concern when I was considering steel vs. aluminum.
So now my system is complete. All I need to do is show up for the next beach dive and get it done. As soon as my knee is healed, I’ll be in the water.
Now I just need to find some great stickers to put on the new tank to really make it complete. My name and phone number are probably a good idea as well.
XS Scuba Faber High Pressure Steel Tank Features
- XS Scuba Faber High Pressure Steel Tank
- Nitrox Ready Up to 40%
- Most Widely Sold Cylinder Type
- Great Buoyancy Characteristics:
Buoyancy Full: From -2.42 lbs. to -9.41 lbs. (-1.1 kg to 4.3 kg), Size Dependent
Buoyancy Empty: From -1.2 lbs. to 2.35 lbs. (-0.54 kg to 1.1 kg)
Buoyancy Better for Back Inflation Style BCD’s (Wings)
Shed the Lead
- Weight: From 28.3 lbs. to 42.4 lbs. (13 kg to 19.4 kg)
- Diameter: From: 7.25″ to 8.0″ (10 cm to 20.3 cm)
- Height: From: 20.8″ to 26.85″ (53 cm to 68 cm)
Deep Drawn Chromium Molybdenum Steel
Triple Protected Zinc Sprayed
Epoxy and Polyurethane Painted
Round Bottom Cylinder
All Faber Cylinders Meet Certificated Specifications of US Department of Transportation (DOT) with Special Permit Number 13488
Meet Specification of the Transport Canada (TC) with Special Permit Number SU7694-237
- XS Scuba PVD Pro Valve
- Standard Yoke Outlet with Spin-Out DIN Insert Converts to 230 bar (3,336 psi) DIN Outlet
- 1/4″ Hex Key Wrench Removable DIN Insert
- 3/4″ – 14 NPSM Standard Inlet Threads
- 1.5 Hand Wheel Rotations from Fully-On to Fully-Off
- 5/32″ Hex Key Dip Tube Included
- Tough Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) Finish
- Same Finish Found on High End Watches and Faucets
- Durable Scratch Resistant Finish gives Valve a “Tech Look”
- Service Pressure: 3442 psi (240 bars)
- New Unique Color Coded Safety Hand Wheel
- Red” Valve is Completely Of
- Green” Valve is Completely Open and Ready for Divin
- Chrome Plated Durable Brass Valve Stem
- Teflon Coated Valve Seat
- O-Ring Sealed Bonnet
- Easy Grip Rubber Hand Wheel